Below are past Policy and Innovation Initiative events, including roundtables, panel discussions, and showcases.
Innovation and the Future of Cities
Cities are a crucial engine for innovation, and a prominent player in the beyond market arena. This panel discussion, moderated by Professor Steve Callander, focused on the intersection of cities, innovation, and policy, with these experts:
- Aoife McArdle, Airbnb
- Padden Guy Murphy, WeWork
- Shireen Santosham, CIO City of San Jose
Policy and Innovation Showcase
Five Stanford student teams working on new ventures were chosen to present to a panel of regulatory experts for feedback and guidance. The event was moderated by Professor Steve Callander, panelists included:
- Sarah Bloom Raskin, former United States deputy secretary of the Treasury
- Tom Kalil, chief innovation officer at Schmidt Futures (former deputy director for tech and innovation at the White House Office of Science and Tech Policy)
- Sarah Hunter, Director of Public Policy, Google X
Gridlock, Policy Decay, and Beyond Market Strategy at NCSL 2017
A lecture to legislators from across the U.S.: What do the tools of game theory teach us about policy making and the structure of political institutions in a changing world? How do innovators exploit the opportunities? How can legislators do better?
Senior Legislative Staff Workshop
Stanford keynote speaker Steve Eglash, Executive Director, Strategic Research Initiatives, Computer Science (Stanford Artificial Intelligence Lab, Stanford Data Science Initiative, Secure Internet of Things Project) ran a unique workshop for legislative senior staff in Sacramento.
Policy, Regulations, and Startups Student Lunch
Student teams from programs and classes across the university learned about the Policy and Innovation Initiative and presented their new ventures to Professor Steve Callander for feedback and to apply for a presenter’s spot at the PII Showcase.
Academia and Government Roundtable
A discussion headed by Professor Steve Callander with Stanford faculty members and senior California Assembly legislative staff.
Faculty, Industry, and Government Roundtable
A discussion headed by Professor Steve Callander with high level internal and external stakeholders.
Navigating the Policy and Innovation Pathway
Moderated by Professor Steve Callander, this event included the following panelists:
- Sarah Hunter, director of public policy and government relations, X (formerly Google X)
- Ted Ullyot, partner, policy and regulatory affairs, Andreessen Horowitz
- Kathy Hibbs, chief legal and regulatory officer, 23andMe
Stanford Venture Studio and Startup Garage Student Lunch
The Policy and Innovation Initiative hosted a discussion for teams of student entrepreneurs about the policy aspect of the new ventures they are pursuing.