Pacific Links Foundation
Pacific Links Foundation is a US-based nonprofit organization that works to empower women and youth in Vietnam. For over two decades, Pacific Links Foundation has built two portfolios tackling interlinked development issues: human trafficking and education access for disadvantaged youth in Vietnam. Pacific Links Foundation is supported by international consumer brands such as Walmart, Abercrombie & Fitch, Clarks, and L Brands. Since 2001, Pacific Links Foundation has served over 150,000 individuals.
How can a start-up social enterprise, Matera Alliance (a subsidiary of nonprofit Pacific Links Foundation), develop a business plan to attract investors for its mobile app for global migrant workers who are potential forced labor victims?
In 2019, Pacific Links Foundation launched Matera Alliance Inc., a wholly owned for-profit social enterprise subsidiary, to deliver innovative solutions for global supply chains focusing on workforce safety. Matera Alliance seeks to partner with retailers, brands, and other key stakeholders to offer their solutions globally. These solutions include:
- Factory Awareness to Counter Trafficking (FACT) training to raise awareness about risk of human trafficking and safe labor migration among factory workers and managers (already generating income with contracts from multinational companies).
- PAXU, a freemium mobile app to help migrant workers make informed financial/migration choices and access better, safer economic opportunities. PAXU plans to generate ad-based and job placement revenue (already available on Google Play Store with ~20k downloads).
The PAXU mobile app can compare living costs between different locations/countries, calculate debt repayments, provide skill learning, and manage user’s expenses. PAXU builds migrant communities and draws data contributed by migrant users about their livelihoods, living and working conditions.
The ACT project team will help Matera Alliance develop a business plan to support the growth of the company and monetization of the PAXU mobile app. Because the company is still in its start-up phase, the business plan will include a projection of the investment capital needed to fund planned growth. The team will also help develop a pitch deck for presentations to potential impact investors.
This is a Full Team project:
- Scope: High-priority organizational challenge involving strategy or management
- Team Size: 5-6 consultants, including 1-2 project leaders
- Project Duration: 6 months
- Estimated time Contribution: Team member: 3-4 hrs/week, Project leader: 5-6 hrs/week