The John S. Osterweis Professor of Finance
Arvind Krishnamurthy is the John S. Osterweis Professor of Finance at the Stanford Graduate School of Business and a Research Associate at the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER). He formerly taught at the Kellogg School of Management (1998-2014).
Professor Krishnamurthy studies finance, macroeconomics and monetary policy. He has studied the causes and consequences of liquidity crises in emerging markets and developed economies, and the role of government policy in stabilizing crises. Recently he has been examining the importance of U.S. Treasury bonds and the dollar in the international monetary system. He has published numerous journal articles and received awards for his research, including the Smith Breeden Prize for best paper published in the Journal of Finance, the Western Finance Association Corporate Finance Award, and the Swiss Finance Institute’s Outstanding Paper Award. He has written extensively on the causes and consequences of financial crises, and is a leading scholar on the global financial crisis that began in 2007. Professor Krishnamurthy’s research on financial crises and monetary policy has received national media coverage and been cited by central banks around the world. He was formerly an associate editor at the Journal of Finance and the American Economics Journals-Macroeconomics, and is currently associate editor at the American Economic Review. He did his undergraduate studies at the University of Pennsylvania and his doctoral work at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- BS, Economics, BSE, Electrical Engineering, University of Pennsylvania, 1990
- PhD, Financial Economics, Massachussetts Institute of Technology, 1998
- John S. Osterweis Professor of Finance, Stanford Graduate School of Business, 2015-present
- Research Associate, NBER Asset Pricing, EFG, Monetary Economics, and International Finance Macro Groups.
- Professor of Finance, Stanford Graduate School of Business, 2014-2015
- Harold Stuart Professor of Finance, Kellogg School of Management, 2007 - 2014
- Associate Professor of Finance, Kellogg School of Management, 2005 - 2007
- Assistant Professor of Finance, Kellogg School of Management, 1998 - 2005
Awards and Honors
- Lacob Family Faculty Fellow, 2015–2016
- Smith Breeden Prize, 2008
- Western Finance Association Prize, 2003
- Swiss Finance Institute Outstanding Paper Award, 2012, 2015
Conferences, Talks & Speaking Engagements
Stanford GSB Affiliations
Stanford University Affiliations
Service to the Profession
- American Finance Association, 2015-2019
- American Economic Review, 2012-present
- Journal of Finance, 2008 - 2012
- American Economic Journal - Macroeconomics, 2009 - 2012