Lecturer in Management
Brian Jacobs is a co-founder of Emergence Capital and is the founder and managing partner of Moai Capital. Emergence Capital is a leading Silicon Valley venture capital investor in SaaS and B2B cloud services that was named VC of the Year by the National Venture Capital Association in 2017. Moai Capital is a seed capital firm based in San Mateo, California.
Brian is also a Lecturer at the Stanford Graduate School of Business teaching angel and venture capital financing.
Brian has deep experience as a tech startup investor and board member, helping dozens of entrepreneurs make their dreams a reality. He has been a board member of over 50 companies, including 12 that have gone public and 6 that have had unicorn-scale exits. Brian was named twice to the Forbes Midas List of Top 100 VC Investors.
Previously, Brian was an investor at St. Paul Venture Capital and Security Pacific Capital, and an engineer for Raychem and RCA. He holds two patents.
He is currently a board member of Bill.com, Impartner, Drivewyze, Eversight, InsideView, Proximity Grid and the Autism Aspergers Spectrum Coalition for Education, Networking and Development (“AASCEND”).
He earned an MBA from Stanford and an MS and BS in mechanical engineering from MIT. Brian also enjoys cycling, cross country skiing and traveling, especially to see ancient stone structures.
- MBA, Stanford GSB, 1989
- MS, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1984
- BS, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1983
- Lecturer in Management, Stanford GSB, 2019
- Founder & Managing Partner, Moai Capital 2019 to Present
- Founder and General Partner, Emergence Capital, 2003 to Present
- General Partner, St. Paul Venture Capital, 1992-2002
Awards and Honors
- 2017 NVCA Venture Firm of the Year- Emergence Capital