About the Sustainability Research Conference Series
The Stanford Initiative on Business and Environmental Sustainability Research Conference Series is hosted by Stanford Graduate School of Business and the Stanford Doerr School of Sustainability.
February 24–25, 2023
Stanford University campus
By 2050, urban areas will be home to some two-thirds of Earth’s human population. The size and growth rates of today’s cities are unprecedented in human history. Climate change poses additional challenges in the design, development, and management of urban areas. Against this dynamic backdrop, researchers and practitioners from public, private, and nonprofit organizations will come together to identify opportunities for high-impact collaborations that advance sustainable design, functioning, growth, and management of cities.
Thematic sessions will include:
- Climate-sensitive infrastructure systems: Building and managing distributed and integrated infrastructure; mobilizing public and private investment in climate-resilient infrastructure
- Decarbonizing the city: Advancing smart sensing and digital technology; developing lower-carbon materials; innovating with policy incentives to green business
- New models of urban governance: Public-private partnerships, co-production, and citizen engagement to advance environmental, economic, and social sustainability goals; developing policies and regulations that integrate climate resilience as a priority
- Understanding and managing risk: Forecasting future risk from climate change, aging infrastructure, and urbanization; partnering with cities to ensure equitable recovery from shocks
- Equity and well-being: Distributional effects of investment strategies; ensuring access to basic services; developing and testing indicators to track progress
Call for Abstracts
Conference attendance will be limited.
Important COVID-19 Restrictions
- By registering for this event/conference, you agree to follow all Stanford University, Santa Clara County, and California State COVID-19 guidelines. Future public health restrictions may necessitate the postponement of the event/conference.
- View the latest COVID-19 criteria for visitors and additional requirements for international travelers, if applicable.
- If you are experiencing symptoms of upper respiratory illness, please refrain from attending the event.
- If you test positive for COVID-19 within ten days of your attendance at the event, please fill out this General COVID-19 Case Reporting Form.