Sven A. Beiker
Lecturer in Management
Sven Beiker is a Lecturer in Management at the GSB, and the Managing Director of Silicon Valley Mobility, an independent consulting & advisory firm. He covers the electrification, automation, connectivity, and sharing of automobiles through the lens of new technologies and business models. This is reflected in his teaching at the GSB as well as in his professional engagements. Prior to his independent consulting work, he served as an Expert Consultant for mobility topics at McKinsey & Company for 2.5 years.
Dr. Beiker is also the former Executive Director of the Center for Automotive Research at Stanford, an industry affiliates program that he launched in 2008 together with Stanford Professors Gerdes, Nass, and Thrun. Before coming to Stanford, Dr. Beiker worked at the BMW Group for more than 13 years. Between 1995 and 2008 he pursued responsibilities in technology scouting, innovation management, systems design, and series development. He primarily applied his expertise to chassis and powertrain projects, which also provided him with profound insights into the industry’s processes and best practices. In addition, he worked in three major automotive and technology locations: Germany, Silicon Valley, and Detroit.
Dr. Beiker received his MS (1995) and PhD (1999) degrees in Mechanical Engineering from the Technical University in Braunschweig, Germany. He published various technical papers and holds several patents in the fields of vehicle dynamics and powertrain technology.
- PhD, Technische Universität Braunschweig (Germany), 1999
- MS, Technische Universität Braunschweig (Germany), 1995
- At Stanford University since 2008
- Lecturer, Stanford Graduate School of Business, 2011-present
- Lecturer, Stanford School of Engineering, 2008-present
- Project Manager, BMW Hybrid Technology Corp., Troy, MI, 2006-2008
- Senior Engineer, BMW Technology Office, Palo Alto, CA, 2003-2006
- Innovation Manager, BMW Group, Munich, Germany, 2000-2003
- Simulation Engineer, BMW Group, Munich, Germany, 1998-1999
Awards and Honors
- Arch T. Colwell Merit Award, SAE International, 2006
Stanford Case Studies
Stanford GSB Affiliations
Stanford University Affiliations
- Executive Director Center for Automotive Research at Stanford (CARS) 2008-present