Joel C. Peterson
Joel C. Peterson
The Robert L. Joss Adjunct Professor of Management
Joel is the Chairman of the Board of Overseers at the Hoover Institution at Stanford, as well as the Chairman of the Board at JetBlue Airways. He has served on more than three dozen boards over the past 45 years, most notable among them being The Dallas Market Center, Texas Commerce Bank (Dallas), and Asurion. He currently serves on the boards of Franklin Covey and Packsize.
Joel is also the Founding Partner and Chairman of Peterson Partners, a Salt Lake City-based investment management firm with $1 billion under management. Peterson Partners has invested in over 200 companies through 13 funds in four primary asset classes: growth-oriented private equity, venture capital, real estate, and search funds.
Prior to Stanford Business School and founding Peterson Partners, Joel was Chief Executive Officer of Trammell Crow Company, then the world’s largest private commercial real estate development firm. Joel earned an MBA from Harvard Business School and received his Bachelors degree from Brigham Young University, where he was valedictorian and student body president.
Joel has been awarded the 2005 Distinguished Teaching Award and the 2016 Robert K. Jaedicke Silver Apple Award at the GSB.
He and his wife, Diana, have been married for over 45 years and have 7 children and 25 grandchildren.
- MBA, Harvard Business School, 1973
- BS, Brigham Young University, 1971
- At Stanford University since 1992.
- Adjunct Professor of Management, Stanford GSB, 2011-present
- Lecturer, Stanford GSB, 1992-1995, 1997-present
- Founder, CEO, Chairman, Peterson Ventures, Inc., 1991-present
- Managing Partner, Trammell Crow Company, 1988-1991
- Regional Partner, TCC Pacific Northwest, 1988-1989
- Comanaging Partner, TC Group, 1987
- President, Trammell Crow Residential, 1986
- CFO, Trammell Crow Company, 1976-1985
- Founder, Trammell Crow Services, 1985
- Treasurer, Trammell Crow Company, 1975
- Project Manager, Trammell Crow International (France), 1973-75
- Student Body President, Valedictorian, Hinckley Scholar, Brigham Young University
Awards and Honors
- MBA Distinguished Teaching Award, Stanford GSB, 2005
- Robert K. Jaedicke Silver Apple Award, Stanford GSB, 2016
Programs and Non-Degree Courses
Stanford Case Studies
Service to the Profession
Board of Directors
- Franklin Covey, Inc.
- Ladder Capital Finance
- Integra Healthcare
- Dallas Market Center
- Trammell Crow Company Board
- Texas Commerce Bank Dallas Board
- Covery Leadership Center Vice-Chairman
- Continental Fire and Safety