Designed by and featuring tenured Stanford GSB faculty, this on-demand course will enable you to develop a Stanford mindset and immerse yourself in topics relevant to your business challenges and context, at your own pace and convenience.
Developed with an experiential approach to learning, this course extends beyond theory and enables you to put your learnings directly into practice for real-time results. You will receive personalized written feedback from course facilitators on select assignments to deepen your understanding and application of key concepts.
This course includes four modules, and the total time commitment is eight to 10 hours, inclusive of all content, coursework, and assignments. You will have access to the course for 60 days and can save select materials as a takeaway future resource.
Why Take This Course?
Power and politics are inevitable parts of organizational life–have been since the dawn of civilization and almost certainly always will be. Therefore, learning the social science of influence and mastering power skills are crucial determinants of people’s career attainment and their ability to get things done.
This short course on power provides an introduction to some of the most important topics and ideas that we believe are the most useful for accelerating your career and building your power base.
This course will employ a course text, short lecture videos, multiple case studies, and exercises through which you will receive some feedback from the teaching staff. The materials are designed to build your power skills and your willingness and ability to use these skills to get things done and enhance your career progress.
- Becoming comfortable with power
- Making strategic career moves, including building effective and efficient social networks
- Building a personal brand and reputation and getting better known
- Effectively handling opposition and conflict
- Understanding the benefits of power and some methods of attaining influence
- Learning how to position yourself in job roles that enhance your visibility and permit you to build more powerful social networks
- Creating a personal brand and reputation and beginning the process of propagating that image more widely
- Coming to terms with the inevitability of opposition and conflict and mastering the art and science of how to cope with these more effectively.
Awarded Upon Completion
Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive a certificate of completion to add to your LinkedIn profile and download for your records.
Example On-Demand Course Module
Each course includes four modules. Content types, activities, and assignments vary by module and by course.