Explore below to learn more about the process of applying to become a Seed coach.
Minimum qualifications include:
- At least 10 years of professional business experience, including several years of hands-on management in senior-level positions
- Demonstrated success in managing companies or significant operational divisions that had aggressive goals
- A successful track record of conceiving and executing strategies to grow businesses rapidly or to create new products and services that underlie new businesses
- A high level of adaptability, team orientation, collaborative focus, and a demonstration of having thrived in new contexts
- Passion for and commitment to Seed’s mission
- Fluency in English; for Seed West Africa, conversational proficiency in French is desired but not required
Applicants do not have to be affiliated with Stanford or have an MBA in order to apply. Experience working or living in a developing economy is highly valued, but not required.
Application Deadline & Process
Key dates for the 2021 Seed coaching program are detailed below:
|Application Deadline||1 March 2020|
|Program Dates||January – December 2021|
|Notification Date||1 July 2020|
Submitting an application does not guarantee selection. A committee will assess completed applications as they are received.
The selection process for the 2021 Seed coach position involves three rounds of interviews over the phone or video conference with Seed staff. All candidates will be informed of their admission decision by the notification date.
The application takes about 30 to 90 minutes to complete. It requires personal and professional information, including:
- Basic personal information
- One 500-word essay and several short-answer questions
- Resume (upload as a PDF)
- 250-word professional biography
After the final round of the selection process, we will also request two to three references.
When you are ready to apply, access the online application. You can download a printer-friendly version of the application for your reference, but you must fill out and submit the application online.
Seed coaches are provided with the following benefits:
- Round-trip economy airfare to and from the assigned region
- Housing for the duration of the assignment
- Living stipend for day-to-day expenses
- Settling-in allowance
- In-country support from Seed program staff
- International health insurance and emergency evacuation insurance
- Transportation and lodging when visiting portfolio companies
These benefits are designed to cover basic costs associated with participation in the program. Depending on personal spending habits and desired quality of life, coaches may need to budget additional funds.