Lecturer in Management
Founding CEO of New Island Capital, a San Francisco based investment company. New Island Capital invests globally and focuses on alternative energy, the environment and sustainable agriculture.
Prior to New Island Capital, Charles was a Managing Director of Terra Firma Capital Partners in London, Founder of Argus Capital LLC (a San Francisco based seed stage venture capital fund), Investment Committee Member of JP Morgan Capital Corporation, and Principal at Investcorp. Before entering the private equity field, Charles spent nine years at Goldman Sachs, last as the Head of the Real Estate Department’s Fixed Income Group.
Charles holds and MBA from Stanford (1983), an MA from Oxford (1981) and an AB from Harvard (1979, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa). He lives in Tiburon California with his wife and four daughters. Charles is a surfer, fly fisherman and commercial beekeeper.
- AB, magna cum laude in Economics, Harvard College, 1979
- MA with Honours in Philosophy, Politics, and Economics, University of Oxford, 1981
- MBA, Stanford Graduate School of Business, 1983
- Lecturer, Stanford GSB, 2015-present
- Founding CEO, New Island Capital Management, Inc, 2006-2014
- Managing Director, Terra Firma Capital Partners, 2003-2005
- Founder and Manager, Argus Capital LLC, 1998-2003
- Manager and Director, JP Morgan Capital Corporation, 1993-1998
- Principal, Investcorp International Corporation, 1992-1993
- Vice President, Goldman, Sachs, & Co., 1987-1992
- Associate, Goldman, Sachs & Co., 1983-1987