Join other change makers by securing your spot in a future MBA class now. Believe in yourself. We believe in you.
Our deferred enrollment program provides a path for eligible candidates to apply now, take one to four years to gain professional experience, and then embark on their MBA journey.
Deferred enrollment is designed for students without full-time work experience to:
- Pursue opportunities that enable you to build expertise, enhance your skills and knowledge, expand your perspective, and develop professional judgment and self-confidence.
- Explore an industry (or two) before earning your MBA if you are unsure about your long-term professional path, especially if you are a college senior.
- Prepare for certain industries — private equity, biotechnology, and management consulting in particular — which tend to recruit MBA candidates who have pre-MBA work experience or specialized knowledge in that field.
Who Should Apply
If you are interested in having a positive impact, we are interested in you. We are looking for students from all studies and majors, including STEM, humanities, and business. Students at Stanford GSB come from diverse personal, educational, and professional backgrounds.
What We Look For
We seek the most promising students in terms of our three evaluation criteria. We realize that our applicants are at different points in their professional journeys, and we will evaluate your accomplishments within the context of your experiences.
You are eligible for deferred enrollment if you meet one of the following criteria:
You are a college senior.
You are in your final year of a bachelor’s degree or a joint bachelor/graduate program, and your degree will be conferred between October 1, 2023, and September 30, 2024.
You are in a graduate program.
- You began a master’s degree, PhD, law, or medical degree in the academic year immediately following an undergraduate or undergraduate/graduate program.
- You did not work full-time (other than internships or co-ops) before starting the graduate program.
- Your degree will be conferred between October 1, 2023, and September 30, 2024.
Graduate students should apply in the final year of their graduate program.
How It Works
Start Your MBA Application
There is no separate application for deferred enrollment.
Select Your Preferred Enrollment Year
The maximum time between admission and starting your MBA is four years. Based on our assessment of your application, we may offer a deferral for a different amount of time than you request.
Share Your Deferral Plans
Tell us how you will be productively engaged in full-time work or study during your deferral period.
Provide Your Recommendations
Include two letters of recommendation from recommenders who have supervised your extracurricular activities or work, such as internships or part-time jobs.
Pay Your Application Fee
If you are eligible for deferred enrollment, you will pay a reduced application fee of $100.
Submit Your Application
We offer three application rounds — you should apply in the round that makes the most sense for you, but Round 3 is often an excellent choice for deferred enrollment candidates.