We accept the following English-language tests:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE)
Do you need to take the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE?
If you have an undergraduate or graduate degree from a college or university that provided instruction entirely in English, then you are exempt from taking the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE.
If your college or university taught some classes in a language other than English, you must take the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE. This applies even if your specific program was taught in English.
Your citizenship and/or work experience do not exempt you from taking the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE.
|TOEFL||100 for the internet-based test (iBT)
600 for the paper-based test (PBT) taken before 14 Oct 2017*
|IELTS||7.0 overall band score|
|PTE (Academic)||68 overall score|
* We prefer you take the iBT, which includes the “speaking” section. If it is necessary for you to take the revised paper-delivered test, which is scored from 0-30 on each of three sections, we generally require a minimum total score of 75. As of the next application year (not this current application year), we will accept paper-based tests only on a case by case basis. Please contact us for more information before applying.
TOEFL, IELTS, and PTE scores are valid for two years and must be taken before submitting your application. The scores must be valid on the deadline date of the round in which you apply.
|If you are applying in …||You must have taken the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE on or after …|
|Round 1 (19 Sep 2017)||19 Sep 2015|
|Round 2 (10 Jan 2018)||10 Jan 2016|
|Round 3 (04 Apr 2018)||04 Apr 2016|
Self-report your scores on the application form. These are the scores we will consider in our initial evaluation of your application.
- TOEFL — Instruct the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to send your official scores directly to “Stanford University” (school code 4704). Specifying a department will delay the processing of your test scores.
- IELTS — Report your scores directly to the Stanford MBA Program.
- PTE — Report your scores directly to the Stanford MBA Program.
If your test scores are not available by the deadline date of the round in which you apply, or if you do not take the test prior to submitting your application, your application will be reviewed as is.
Multiple Test Scores
We do not average test scores. If you have taken the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE more than once, report only the scores from one examination that you wish us to consider while reviewing your application. The scores you report must be from the same testing session.