Reliance Industries Limited generously created the Stanford Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowship Program to support students who are from and living in India who need financial assistance in obtaining an MBA at Stanford.
Stanford GSB has a strong emphasis on global management education. Stanford GSB is proud to have enrolled many students from India over the years; they are a vital part of our student body and provide our community with direct and personal insight into an emerging global economy that also is the world’s largest democracy. We hope this fellowship encourages talented and motivated men and women from India who may not otherwise apply to the business school because of financial concerns.
The Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowship Program provides future leaders with the educational foundation to effect positive change in India. Fellows return to India to lead organizations that are at the forefront of growth and development in the rapidly emerging Indian economy.
Each year, Stanford may award up to three Reliance Dhirubhai fellowships:
- Stanford Reliance Dhirubhai Fellows, class of 2022, will receive financial support for approximately 80% of the cost of attendance and associated fees for a single student each year of the two-year Stanford MBA Program.
- Within two years of completing their Stanford MBA studies, Reliance Dhirubhai Fellows are required to return to India to work for an Indian organization. Thus, Fellows must live and work in India for at least two years by the time they are four years out of the Stanford MBA Program.
- Upon their return to India, Reliance Dhirubhai Fellows are integral members of Stanford University, Stanford GSB, and Reliance Dhirubhai Fellows communities.
Process and Evaluation Criteria
- Apply for Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowship Program*
- Apply to Stanford MBA Program
- Attend Stanford MBA Program
- Return to work in India for at least two years
*If you are applying to Stanford GSB for deferred enrollment, you must apply to the Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowship Program in the year prior to your enrollment.
Stage 1: Complete the Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowship Program Application
Up to 50 Reliance Dhirubhai Fellows finalists will be selected based on:
- Stanford MBA admission criteria
- Commitment to developing India
- Financial need
Stage 2: Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowship Program Finalists Complete the Standard Application Process for the Stanford MBA Program
As part of the MBA admission process, Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowship Program finalists must meet all Stanford GSB application requirements, including submission of GMAT or GRE and IELTS, PTE, or TOEFL if applicable.
Stanford may select up to three Reliance Dhirubhai Fellows each year from among the finalists based on our primary admission criteria:
- Intellectual vitality
- Demonstrated leadership potential
- Personal qualities and contributions
|20 April 2020 – 22 May 2020||Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowship Program application available online|
|22 May 2020
(5:00pm Pacific Time)
|Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowship Program application submission deadline|
|18 June 2020||Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowship Program finalists notified|
|15 September 2020||Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowship Program finalists prepare and submit Stanford MBA application for Round 1|
|10 December 2020||Stanford releases admission decisions for Round 1, including those for Reliance Dhirubhai Fellows|
|06 January 2021||Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowship Program finalists prepare and submit Stanford MBA application for Round 2|
|01 April 2021||Stanford releases admission decisions for Round 2, including those for Reliance Dhirubhai Fellows|
|September 2021||Reliance Dhirubhai Fellows matriculate in Stanford MBA Program|
Read this information carefully, as requirements to apply to this fellowship differ from the requirements for the MBA Program application. Fellowship application materials include:
- Educational history and scores: 10 board exams, 12 board exams, Joint Entrance Exam, and/or Common Admission Test. You may also submit the Graduate Management Admission Test and/or Graduate Record Examination, if available. These are optional at the fellowship application stage. If you’re selected as a finalist, you’ll be required to take one of these exams as part of your application to the MBA Program. The Stanford GSB will provide you with a voucher to take either the GMAT or the GRE. If you went to an undergraduate college or university where the language of instruction was not English, you may also be required to take an English-language proficiency exam. Official transcripts are not considered at this stage. Finalists will be required to submit an unofficial copy of their transcripts in the MBA Application, and will submit official copies upon admission to the MBA Program.
- Awards and honors (academic or social)
- Employment history: Letters of recommendation are not considered at this stage. Finalists will be required to submit two letters of recommendation in the MBA application.
- One-page resume or curriculum vitae (CV)
- 250-word essay
- Individual financial information