The Stanford Latino Entrepreneurship Initiative is a Stanford University research initiative housed within Stanford Graduate School of Business. SLEI explores and expands our knowledge of the Latino entrepreneurship segment in our economy through research, knowledge dissemination, and facilitated collaboration.
Specifically, the initiative aims to:
- Grow the current database of over 1.3 million U.S. Latino-owned companies and survey panel of over 2,000 independent companies.
- Advance knowledge and discourse by disseminating the results of the research.
- Stimulate more informed policy-making, business partnerships, and knowledge and skill development through its research findings.
SLEI Research Strategy
- Host a database of over 1 million (of the more than 4 million) Latino-owned companies in the United States.
- Survey owners annually about their business practices and growth, creating the largest and most comprehensive dataset of its kind.
- Publish reports useful to a span of groups, ranging from policy makers to educators to business owners.
- Connect with faculty and practitioners who can use our data to conduct quality research and promote business owner education.
What is the Latino Business Action Network?
Independent of Stanford University, the Latino Business Action Network is a nonprofit entrepreneurship organization based in Palo Alto, California. Its vision is to strengthen the United States by improving the lives of Latinos through entrepreneurship education and a support network. LBAN accomplishes this by empowering Latino communities to substantially scale firms that create jobs, develop leaders, and spawn a new generation of Latino companies. LBAN’s goal is to double the number of large Latino-owned businesses by 2020.
Through a collaboration with SLEI, LBAN has helped to create the database of over 1.3 million U.S. Latino-owned companies. Additionally, LBAN complements the research findings by offering education and resources to Latino entrepreneurs to help reach our common goals. The Stanford Latino Entrepreneur Leaders Program is a nationally available six-week online education course for business leaders interested in building highly scalable companies. The program provides them with the knowledge, skills, mentors, and access to capital they need to become successful. The custom online course is based on a course developed by Stanford professors Huggy Rao and Bob Sutton, internationally recognized experts in scaling businesses.