David Bruce Montgomery
The Sebastian S. Kresge Professor of Marketing, Emeritus
David B. Montgomery is the Sebastian S. Kresge Professor of Marketing - Emeritus, Dean - Emeritus and Consultant/Visiting Professor of Marketing and Management at Singapore Management University. He has published over 100 articles and 10 books and special journal issues relating to marketing science, marketing, strategy, and global marketing and management. He is an INFORMS Fellow (2009) and is an Inaugural Fellow of the INFORMS Society for Marketing Science (2008) and was awarded the 2002 AMA Career Contributions to Marketing Strategy award. He has served on the editorial boards of seven leading marketing/strategy/management science journals.
- PhD in Management Science, Stanford University, 1966
- MS in Mathematical Statistics, Stanford University, 1964
- MBA, Management Science, Stanford University, 1962
- BS in Electrical Engineering, Stanford University, 1960
- At Stanford University since 1970
- Dean, School of Business Singapore Management University, 2003-2005
- Consultant/Visiting Professor of Marketing and Management (2006 - 2014) and President's Tenure and Academic Committee (2013 - 2015), Singapore Management University.
- University Distinguished Professor, HK Polytechnic University, 2008
- Doctor Honoris Causa, Limburgs Universitair Centrum, Belgium, 1998
- Executive Director, Marketing Science Institute, Cambridge, MA, 1995-1997
- Academic Trustee 1994 - 2000 and Executive Director's Council ( 2000 - ) Marketing Science Institute
- Senior Research Associate, Marketing Science Institute, Harvard University, 1969-1970
- Visiting Professor, Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta, 1969
- Assistant-Associate Professor, Sloan School of Management, MIT, 1965-1970
- Acting Instructor, Industrial Engineering, Stanford School of Engineering, 1964
- First Departmental Editor for Marketing at the journal Management Science 1969 - 71.
- Principal, The MAC Group ( 1970 - 1990)
Awards and Honors
- Fellow of the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences, class of 2009
- Inaugural Fellow, INFORMS Society for Marketing Science, 2008
- Mahajan Award for Career Contributions to Marketing Strategy, American Marketing Association, 2002
- Awarded Doctor ( Honoris Causa) for Contributions to Marketing Science and Strategic Management, especiall from a global perspective, LUC Belguim, 1998
- Best Paper Award for First Mover Advantages, Strategic Management Journal 1988, by the Strategic Management Society, 1996.
- Emeritus Professor Award , 2010 as part of Asia's Best B-School Awards by CMO Asia.
- Runner up for Best paper award, AIB conference 2002 and Journal of Marketing 1979
- Honorable mention for Odell award, Journal of Marketing Research, 1983
- In study of the top 150 books and articles in Marketing, Stochastic Models of Buying Behavior was ranked # 9 and Management Science in Marketing was ranked # 13 and a MSI research paper was in the top ranked papers.
- Cited by Hewlett Packard (1977) for outstanding contributions to the use of computers in business education.
- Hightower Distinguished Lecturer in Marketing at Emory University, (November, 1995)
- Elected to Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honorary Society as a junior, 1959.
- First Departmental Editor for Marketing at Management Science, 1969 - 71
- Editorial Board of Journal of Marketing (1970-73,1978-81, 1996- 1999) Journal of Marketing Research ( 1972 - 75), Annual Review of Marketing ( 1977-78), Strategic Management Journal ( 1981 - 84), Marketing Science ( 1981 - 83).
- Additional Editorial Boards: J. of International marketing (1996-2003; Consulting Editor 2000-2003), J. of Academy of Marketing Science (2000-2003), J. of Marketing Education (2002)