Lecturer in Management
Rob Urstein is a lecturer in management at Stanford Graduate School of Business where he teaches courses on innovation in higher education. An experienced academic leader, Urstein has more than 25 years of professional experience managing academic programs and teaching, advising, and coaching undergraduates, graduate students, and executives. He collaborates on research projects and serves as a governing board member of the College Transition Collaborative, which brings together pioneering social psychologists, education researchers, and higher education practitioners to create learning environments that produce more equitable higher education outcomes.
In addition to his teaching and research, Urstein is co-founder at Gather Learning, and formerly served a principal at Guild Education, and entrepreneur-in-residence and senior strategist at Entangled Ventures — prior to its acquisition by Guild — where he worked on projects to equitably transition society to a knowledge economy.
Urstein spent more than 12 years in leadership roles at Stanford, including three years as associate vice provost for undergraduate education. At Stanford Graduate School of Business, Urstein served for eight years as assistant dean, leading the PhD program, and for two years as managing director of global innovation programs, where he managed a portfolio of on-campus and international programs focused on leadership, innovation, and entrepreneurship. Prior to Stanford, Urstein spent ten years teaching and coaching in an independent high school, and in 2000–2001 he was a Fulbright Senior Scholar in Oslo, Norway, working for the Royal Norwegian Ministry of Education. He has been at Stanford since 2004.
- BA, History & Literature, Claremont McKenna College
- MA and PhD, American Studies, University of Iowa
- Associate Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education, Stanford University, 2012-2015
- Assistant Dean, Stanford GSB, 2004-2012
- Fulbright Scholar, Royal Norwegian Ministry of Education, 2000-2001
- Co-Founder, Gather Learning, 2020-Present
- Principal, Guild Education, 2020
- Entrepreneur-in-Residence, Entangled Ventures, 2017-2020
- Governing Board Member, College Transition Collaborative, 2016-present