- Programs for Individuals
- Programs for Organizations
- The Difference
Strategy Beyond Markets: Building Competitive Advantage Through Government Relations and Public Affairs
Anticipate and develop strategies to address critical beyond-market forces, from legislation and regulation to activism and the media.
Your company’s reputation takes years to build; yet it can be destroyed in a matter of minutes. Thinking ahead can make all the difference. Strategy Beyond Markets combines thinking with doing, providing a comprehensive set of strategic and practical skills to help you both assess your firm’s potential risks and seize new opportunities. You’ll learn invaluable tools and tactics that you can implement the moment you return to work — whether dealing with internal stakeholders, the government, media, or the public.
Strategy Beyond Markets is timely, topical, and essential for anyone developing business strategy. One look at today’s business headlines will convince you. Which is why the program combines real-time cases with cutting-edge academic research and is led by Stanford GSB faculty in partnership with Stanford University’s vice president for public affairs. You will learn, discuss, and collaborate with faculty and peers who share a common goal: to elevate the importance of beyond-market forces and make them more integral to a company’s core strategy. Broaden your thinking with perspectives from Silicon Valley businesses, and discuss practical experiences with senior-level executives from multiple disciplines.
Key BenefitsGain tools, analytical frameworks, leadership skills, and confidence to proactively manage risk and make a positive impact across your organization.
- Evaluate and manage risk generated by policymakers and interest groups, stakeholders, and the media.
- Analyze, integrate, and take ownership of your company’s beyond-market strategy.
- Formulate and implement strategies to sustain your company’s interests and turn potential threats into competitive opportunities.
- Dissect real-world cases — from Uber to EU privacy — and learn from their examples.
- Build a strong network of peers with whom you can share ideas and experiences.
Who Should Attend
- Senior-level executives with at least 10 years of experience — from any size company, any industry, and any country
- Executives from large global companies that face challenges in a variety of different institutional arenas
- Leaders of startups or smaller organizations seeking creative ways to build competitive advantage
- Examples of appropriate roles: senior functional leaders transitioning into general management, division-level leaders who will soon assume corporate-level positions, and leaders driving strategy in the C-suite
20 Aug 2017 – 25 Aug 2017
14 Jul 2017
The program fee includes tuition, private accommodations, all meals, and course materials.
Certificate of completion
byStanford Graduate School of Business
Learn how this program prepares you for the realities of running a business in today’s highly regulated, activist-rich, media-frenzied world.
Learn More About the Program
Explore our carefully designed curriculum, and go deeper with select course descriptions or a sample schedule.
Review all eligibility requirements, and learn about the application process.
Learn more about our past participants, and find out if the program is right for you.
The Herbert Hoover Professor of Public and Private Management
Professor of Political Economy
- Co-Director, Strategy Beyond Markets: Building Competitive Advantage Through Government Relations and Public Affairs
Explore Related Programs
26 Feb 2017 – 05 May 2017
20 Aug 2017 – 25 Aug 2017
25 Feb 2018 – 04 May 2018