Sponsoring organizations outside the United States gain access to talented MBA students with fresh perspectives to work on well-defined projects over the summer. Sponsors are key in shaping student’s global perspective and in turn raise the organization profile within the Stanford GSB community.
The Global Management Immersion Experience encourages Stanford MBA students to gain hands-on knowledge of international management by working in a corporate, social enterprise, government, or nonprofit setting for a minimum of four weeks in a country new to them outside the United States.
From the program’s beginnings in China in 1997, GMIX has expanded to include project opportunities across a wide variety of industries, organization types, and in more than 80 countries worldwide.
- Stanford GSB sources numerous 4-week GMIX projects. Students may also source their own opportunities, resulting in highly individualized and targeted experiences.
- Students can participate in a GMIX between the first and second years of the MBA program. It is usually done after a full-time, eight-to-10 week summer internship.
- GMIX projects cover a wide array of industries, such as consumer products, international development, energy, finance, health care, media and entertainment, technology, and telecommunications.
Learning Opportunities for Students
- Explore a new industry and role as part of the career planning process.
- Live in a new location and directly experience the work environment and culture.
- Complete a research paper for academic credit on a topic related to the GMIX project (optional).
Sponsorship Benefits & Information
- Sponsor organizations leverage MBA students’ skills and knowledge to execute a significant project in a relatively short time frame.
- GMIX students bring new perspectives to organizations, as each participant must go outside the United States and to a country where he or she has not lived for more than one year as an adult.
- Participating organizations provide students with valuable real-life global experience — helping to contribute to a critical component of the Stanford GSB curriculum.
- Most students will be available during the recommended GMIX program dates for the summer of 2020, which are August 24–September 18, although timing is flexible and can vary from student to student.