Sponsoring organizations outside the United States gain access to talented MBA students with fresh perspectives to work on well-defined projects over the summer. Sponsors are key in shaping student’s global perspective and in turn raise the organization profile within the Stanford GSB community.
The Global Management Immersion Experience encourages Stanford MBA students to gain hands-on knowledge of international management by working with a corporate, social enterprise, government, or nonprofit organization for a minimum of four weeks in a country new to them outside the United States. Due to the ongoing health situation, we anticipate Summer 2021 projects will be performed virtually.
From the program’s beginnings in China in 1997, GMIX has expanded to include project opportunities across a wide variety of industries, organization types, and in more than 80 countries worldwide.
- Stanford GSB sources numerous 4-week GMIX projects. Students may also source their own opportunities, resulting in highly individualized and targeted experiences.
- Students can participate in a GMIX between the first and second years of the MBA program. Typically students participate after completing their main eight-to-10 week summer internship. While flexible, this summer the majority of students will be available during the suggested GMIX program dates are from Aug. 23 to Sep. 17, 2021.
- GMIX projects cover a wide array of industries, such as consumer products, international development, energy, finance, health care, media and entertainment, technology, and telecommunications.
Learning Opportunities for Students
- Explore a new industry and role as part of the career planning process.
- Live and work in a new location to experience firsthand the distinct work environment and culture of that country. As projects will be performed virtually this summer, we’ll partner with Sponsors on strategies and tactics we found effective last year to increase student’s cultural engagement remotely.
- Complete a research paper for academic credit on a topic related to the GMIX project (optional).
Sponsorship Benefits & Information
- Sponsor organizations leverage MBA students’ skills and knowledge to execute a significant project in a relatively short time frame.
- GMIX students bring new perspectives to organizations, as each participant must go outside the United States and to a country where he or she has not lived for more than one year as an adult.
- Participating organizations provide students with valuable real-life global experience — helping to contribute to a critical component of the Stanford GSB curriculum.