The essays are a key aspect of your application and are designed to inspire thoughtful reflection.
Your essays help us understand what character traits have propelled you in your career and tell us how the MSx Program is integral to maximizing your impact in the world.
We require you to write two essays that answer the following prompts:
- What matters most to you and why?
- Why Stanford? Describe your aspirations and how your Stanford GSB experience will help you realize them.
The admission committee can better engage with your essays if you format them appropriately. We encourage you to:
- Submit one document with both essays
- Include the prompt with its respective essay
- Write concisely (total word count must not exceed 1,200 words)
Qualities of Exceptional Essays
Exceptional essays are authentic: Write about what you are compelled to tell us, not what you believe the admission committee wants to hear. In addition, they:
- Indicate self-awareness and acknowledge areas for growth opportunities
- Express an understanding of your affect on others
- Demonstrate how you want to maximize your impact on the world
- Showcase your unique worldview and goals by being personal, specific, and honest
- Detail how you see the MSx Program helping you achieve your goals and how you will leverage your year at Stanford
Additional Information Essay (Optional)
The application provides an additional opportunity for you to share any other pertinent information not otherwise captured in your application. You might use this opportunity to:
- Describe the circumstances affecting academic or work performance
- Explain why you are not using a current supervisor as a reference
- Address an academic suspension or expulsion