Joseph D. Piotroski
The Robert K. Jaedicke Professor of Accounting
- Corporate transparency
- Financial regulation
- Valuation in emerging markets
Professor Piotroski is the Robert K. Jaedicke Professor of Accounting at Stanford University’s Graduate School of Business, and a Senior Fellow at the Asian Bureau of Finance and Economic Research (ABFER). Before joining the faculty at Stanford in 2007, Professor Piotroski was an Associate Professor of Accounting at the University of Chicago Graduate School of Business (1999-2007).
Professor Piotroski’s research has been published in scholarly journals in the areas of accounting, finance, and economics; these include The Journal of Finance, Journal of Financial Economics, Review of Financial Studies, Journal of Accounting Research, Journal of Accounting and Economics, The Accounting Review, Management Science, Review of Accounting Studies, and Journal of Law and Economics. His research on value investing has been widely cited in the popular press, used in practice, and highlighted on numerous investment-related websites. He currently serves on the Editorial Advisory Boards of the Review of Accounting Studies, and Journal of Business, Finance and Accounting.
Professor Piotroski teaches sessions on value creation and managerial performance measurement to business leaders in India, East Africa, and West Africa as a part of Stanford’s Institution for Innovation in Developing Economies’ Transformation Programs. He was the faculty director of the Stanford Ignite program in Beijing, and has both developed and taught in Executive Education programs focused on innovation for executives and entrepreneurs around the world.
Professor Piotroski earned his PhD from the University of Michigan in 1999, an MBA from Indiana University in 1994, a BS in Accounting from the University of Illinois in 1989, and worked as a tax consultant for Coopers and Lybrand in Chicago from 1989 to 1992.
- PhD in Accounting, University of Michigan, 1999
- MBA in Finance, Indiana University, 1994
- BS in Accounting, University of Illinois, 1989
- Professor of Accounting, Stanford GSB, 2016-present
- Associate Professor of Accounting, Stanford GSB, 2007-2016
- Associate Professor of Accounting, University of Chicago, 2003-2007
- Assistant Professor of Accounting, University of Chicago, 1999-2003
- Graduate Research Assistant and Instructor, University of Michigan, 1994-1999
- Lecturer, Indiana University, 1992-1994
- Tax Senior Associate, Coopers and Lybrand, 1989-1992.
Awards and Honors
- Stanford GSB Trust Faculty Fellow for 2016-2017
- Center for Global Business and the Economy Research Fellow, Stanford GSB, 2012-2014
- John A. Gunn and Cynthia Fry Gunn Faculty Scholar, Stanford GSB, 2010-2011
- Robert S. Hamada Faculty Fellow, University of Chicago GSB, 2005
- William Ladany Faculty Research Fellow, University of Chicago GSB, 2002
- Ernest R. Wish Accounting Research Award, University of Chicago GSB, 2001
- American Accounting Association Best Dissertation Award, Financial Reporting Section, 2000
- Deloitte and Touche Doctoral Fellowship, Deloitte and Touche, 1996
Executive Education & Other Non-Degree Programs
Stanford Case Studies
Service to the Profession
Editorial Advisory Board member
- Journal of Accounting Research, 2005-2018
- The Accounting Review, 2005-2011, 2014-2017
- Review of Accounting Studies, 2011-present
- Journal of Accounting and Economics, 2006-2011
- Journal of Business, Finance and Accounting, 2008-present